Friday, October 11, 2013

Wine: Apothic Dark

Note: Does not actually smoke.
Apothic Dark is a red wine from the makers of Apothic Red, which happens to be one of my favorite wines ever made and a great wine to get non-wine-drinkers into enjoying red wines.

Right out of the bottle the wine is smooth with very little taste up-front but hints of chocolate on the back end. It was pleasant enough but not the full-bodied experience I expect when I have a wine from this particular vintner.

I let it breath for about ten minutes and on the next sip I found what I was looking for; the wine had come to life after being aired for just a few minutes. Suddenly the front taste had notes of berries, sweetness, carried on a nice heady scent. The back end woke up too, carrying more chocolate, a bit of the berries, and a finish of light coffee.

This wine has made its way into my list of favorites, right next to its sibling and I will be purchasing a few more bottles. Apothic Dark is on limited release so I will enjoy it while I can and save a bottle for a later time, probably a date night with my special lady.

I suggest picking up a bottle, maybe two, and enjoying it alone, paired with some very dark chocolate, or with a rich, delicious dinner of ribeye steaks and mashed potatoes. It will liven up any dish.

Apothic Dark: Break the mundane.

No comments:

Post a Comment